Skip to main content

The bumps in the road just make the ride more fun!

Hey!! 
"Many are the plans in the mind of a man,
but it is the purpose of the Lord that will stand."-Proverbs 19:21
We can plan and plan, but only if our plans are within God's Will do they succeed! 

Flexibility is key! How you respond to changes in life and the little bumps in the road, tells a lot about your character. It tells a lot about what you put your faith and trust in. Yes we get upset and frustrated that something doesn't go our way, and it takes a lot of energy to remind ourselves "God is in control, His ways are perfect." For some reason, we want to do things our way and our way only...and when something is not right..oh boy you better watch out! Wouldn't it be easier to grab God's hand and say to Him "Will you walk down that road with me Father?" i doubt He'll say no. God is here, always. 

Whenever I went to Mexico with my youth group, my pastor called the trip "Flexico," you have to be flexible, you can't be so set in your ways. In Mexico, I can't tell you enough how many times the plans have changed, routines have been rearranged, running out of supplies, not having enough of goodies to give to the kids, the crafts don't work out, someone gets sick...I mean there is a lot that doesn't go our way in Mexico. So my pastor taught us to be flexible. Go with the flow, there is a bump on the road? don't go around it, go right over it! =) 

Right now, I am hitting a rather big bump in the road, and I am doing all I can to just go over it. My plan was to go to Indonesia in January, with Abi Cottrell after her visit for Christmas break. I've calculated the finances it is a large amount of money that I don't think I am able to raise in a month or so. I still need to schedule a meeting with the missions board at my church and get my trip approved. Only then I can start sending out support letters to the church body and such. My dad and I talked, and we don't think that right now is a good time to try to raise money. I absolutely can not ask anyone to financially support me with Christmas coming up...But one thing I will ask..pray, pray, pray! It is actually perfectly fine, because I have so much to do before I go, I don't think I can do it all in a month. I think that God is teaching me patience, I so badly want to get out of here..the question is why? God's plans are to work on my heart! To trust Him every step of the way.

While not knowing when I will be able to go, I am still going to continue preparing for the trip as if I am going soon. 

"Your word is a lamp to my feet and a light for my path."-Psalm 119:105- It is not a flashlight so I can see whats straight ahead, into the future. But His word is a lamp, gives just enough light to see the next step. I want to grab God's hand and allow Him to be the guide. I want to ask God to be on this journey with me, I can't do it alone, don't even want to try. 
"the bumps in the road just make the ride more fun"- go over the bumps, not around, because in the end you learn so much and knowing that God is with you makes it that much better. 
Please pray that I will be submissive to God's plans, His way is way better than my way. 
Thank you everyone for your encouragements! 
=)

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

I'm not proverbs thirty one

Have you ever read Proverbs 31? 

It describes a woman who is intimidating to me, yet I aspire to be. If you ever have time, read the chapter, if not, I'll break it down for you. In this chapter King Lemuel meaning "devoted to God" wrote a passage that was almost a perfect description of his mother, some say he was inspired by her wisdom. His mother, Bathsheba made her wisdom very evident when she was basically telling her son "not to fall into the trap of immorality, chasing after women will sap a king's strength. (Proverbs 31:3) I can only draw my own assumptions that Lemuel was inspired by that saying and wrote up a whole chapter based on what a woman of virtue should look like. I won't quote the chapter in this blog, although I must have read it three or four times tonight, and had it basically memorized at some point in high school, however I'll attempt to simplify with my such minuscule concoction of words.  

So, what is a Proverbs 31 woman? 
She is tr…

and the dust on my feet

From LAX to Dubai to Entebbe- here walking around in my beloved red dirt Uganda. Nothing seemed real until that plane brought me to this country. The plane wheels hit the ground and the tears started to roll down my cheeks. 

For so long, I have been so angry at God for giving this love for the nations, and then not opening any doors. Only to realize, that I needed growth, I needed to turn to Him fully, only to understand that He needed me somewhere else at the time. As I looked out the window through my teary eyes, I heard Him say "See, I got you back here." I felt a sense of relief, I felt as if this was what I needed from Him, to finally feel Him. 

Stepping out of the plane, the instant smell of Uganda hit my senses and my heart began to race. Feeling all sorts of emotions, I took my first step onto Uganda. My heart was full with joy. 

Getting all thirty of our checked in bags was already a challenge, patience was much needed. Sweat dripping down my neck, hunger in my tummy, …

shattered pieces of my heart

"break my heart for what breaks yours.." 

A song we sing at church. Are we crazy to sing a song that literally asks God to break our hearts for what breaks His? 

I've been on a lot of trips before, visiting the poverty, seeing the starving eyes, and holding the sickest of babies. Each trip opens my eyes more and more, and breaks my heart even on a greater scale. 

Today was a hard day for me. So many times during the day I wanted to burst into tears, I felt helpless, I felt and overwhelming wave of so much heartbreak, I think I actually heard my heart shatter to pieces. 

During worship, having a baby tied to my back the Ugandan style, I stood in front of the crowd and watched these kids barefoot, dirty clothes, teared t-shirts jump up and down praising God. In my mind I think "what do you have to praise them for?" Then Janet's words resonated "If you're alive, that is a reason in itself to be praising God." I had tears rolling down my face as I clo…