Skip to main content

3 meals a day

"If we don't discipline ourselves, the world will do it for us"
William Feather

This quote hit home. If you don't take the time to discipline yourself, and I don't mean punish yourself, but really set your mind to something and do it. For the past week or so that is exactly what I've been learning. If you let yourself go, the world will begin to shape you. Blahh horrible thought. That's why I think it is good to discipline yourself. 
Ever since we moved to my grandmas house, my whole routine got ruined. I used to have a specific time where I would spend time with God, talk to Him and read His word. I used to have so much confidence and so much reassurance of His grace. When we moved and college started, I lost that. I missed that. I missed walking into a room and feeling so full of confidence because God was with me. I lost the ability to discipline myself. I read my bible as an appetizer, I would give so little of my time to God. That is exactly what God has been revealing to me this past week....DISCIPLINE! The only reason is that my God is in great pursuit of me, and He wants me to discipline myself to spend time with Him. That is not a bad thing at all, that encourages me to develop a habit of not going a day with out being fed with the whole meal. See appetizers don't fill you up, the main dish does. 
SO, how did i solve this whole discipline thing? I realized that I was becoming like everyone one else in the world, ignorant of God's truth. Where can you really discover the mysteries of God? In the bible, does it mean spend 15-30 minutes reading? for me personally that wasn't going to cut it...I was thirsty for more. But didn't know how to really get filled. Then my church spoke about this system where you read 10 chapters of the bible a day...each chapter from a different book in the bible, and it only takes an hour or so. I saw the opportunity and I jumped at it. Guess what?! It works, I've been reading for the past 4 days now, and it is absolutely filling and amazing! Before I do anything I have got to get my main dish and be filled. I just have to!! The discipline part is hard, yet rewarding. I don't have a specific schedule to sit down and read and spend time with God. But when I wake up, before I do anything I'll have my appetizer, and then when I am finished with whatever it is that I have to do, (chores/school) I have my main dish, and I sit and marvel at how the bible is so filling. And then my sister and I decided to read a book together called "A woman of faith"  and that is our dessert! Its perfect! So I make sure to have 3 "meals" a day!
What is the outcome? I have confidence, I have security, I have knowledge, I am being filled, I am being pursued by my First Love, He is reassuring that He is here with me, He is giving me life in Him. All in all, discipline pays off. Always. 
Don't let the world discipline you, its only going to mold you in what it wants you to be. Let God mold you! Discipline yourself to have sometime with Him before anything else! 
Be blessed <3

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

I'm not proverbs thirty one

Have you ever read Proverbs 31? 

It describes a woman who is intimidating to me, yet I aspire to be. If you ever have time, read the chapter, if not, I'll break it down for you. In this chapter King Lemuel meaning "devoted to God" wrote a passage that was almost a perfect description of his mother, some say he was inspired by her wisdom. His mother, Bathsheba made her wisdom very evident when she was basically telling her son "not to fall into the trap of immorality, chasing after women will sap a king's strength. (Proverbs 31:3) I can only draw my own assumptions that Lemuel was inspired by that saying and wrote up a whole chapter based on what a woman of virtue should look like. I won't quote the chapter in this blog, although I must have read it three or four times tonight, and had it basically memorized at some point in high school, however I'll attempt to simplify with my such minuscule concoction of words.  

So, what is a Proverbs 31 woman? 
She is tr…

and the dust on my feet

From LAX to Dubai to Entebbe- here walking around in my beloved red dirt Uganda. Nothing seemed real until that plane brought me to this country. The plane wheels hit the ground and the tears started to roll down my cheeks. 

For so long, I have been so angry at God for giving this love for the nations, and then not opening any doors. Only to realize, that I needed growth, I needed to turn to Him fully, only to understand that He needed me somewhere else at the time. As I looked out the window through my teary eyes, I heard Him say "See, I got you back here." I felt a sense of relief, I felt as if this was what I needed from Him, to finally feel Him. 

Stepping out of the plane, the instant smell of Uganda hit my senses and my heart began to race. Feeling all sorts of emotions, I took my first step onto Uganda. My heart was full with joy. 

Getting all thirty of our checked in bags was already a challenge, patience was much needed. Sweat dripping down my neck, hunger in my tummy, …

shattered pieces of my heart

"break my heart for what breaks yours.." 

A song we sing at church. Are we crazy to sing a song that literally asks God to break our hearts for what breaks His? 

I've been on a lot of trips before, visiting the poverty, seeing the starving eyes, and holding the sickest of babies. Each trip opens my eyes more and more, and breaks my heart even on a greater scale. 

Today was a hard day for me. So many times during the day I wanted to burst into tears, I felt helpless, I felt and overwhelming wave of so much heartbreak, I think I actually heard my heart shatter to pieces. 

During worship, having a baby tied to my back the Ugandan style, I stood in front of the crowd and watched these kids barefoot, dirty clothes, teared t-shirts jump up and down praising God. In my mind I think "what do you have to praise them for?" Then Janet's words resonated "If you're alive, that is a reason in itself to be praising God." I had tears rolling down my face as I clo…