Skip to main content

Remember. Rejoice. March ahead.

For the past couple of days God's been putting something on my heart and its really inspiring. I've been listening to Flyleaf lately(if you guys don't know the band, check it out!) and Lacey Sturm (the lead singer) wrote a song called "Cassie" and its about Cassie Bernall who was shot for believing in God. That brought to mind Rachel Scott who was shot at the same school as Cassie for her faith, and that led me to thinking about all the other Christians in different countries or even here in the US, who are being persecuted daily for their belief in God. Christ did promise us that we will be persecuted "Then you will be arrested, persecuted and killed. You will be hated all over the world because you are my followers"-Matthew 24:9. But the apostle Paul says in Philippians 1:21 " For to me, to live is Christ, and to dies is gain"- Life is summed up in Jesus Christ, Christ is the reason for being. Paul got it right guys, lose you're life and you will find it in Him. Yes God told us we will suffer, people will look down on us, and yes we will be persecuted, but it's not like He just dumped this news on us and said "deal with it" He gives us strength. "I can do all things [ALL THINGS GUYS] through Christ who strengthens  me" Philippians 4:13 We are blessed to be persecuted for Him.
Paul considered it a privilege to suffer for Christ!
So what does this all come down to...why has God been pressing this issue on my heart? Because it sickens me to think that there are people out there who are so in love with Christ, so bold for him, and I live in this "American dream" where I deal with problems that are nothing compared to what Cassie had to deal with that second before her death. I fight battles, and Christ is on my side always, but I (and i think i can speak for most of us) [we] tend to make our problems seem bigger than they're really are. We tend to exaggerate our battles, because our worlds are so small. Think of the battle Cassie had to fight in her mind?  I am not excusing anyones  hardships, please don't take it that way. Pain is pain, and it hurts, but sometimes its good to have a perspective that will show you that you're pain is not unbearable. For me I guess, its just good to look at Cassie Bernall and Rachel Scott, (girls who were my age) and say to myself "If God was with them, and they did it, I can do it too"
All in all guys, remember the ones whose lives were taken for their faith, rejoice in the fact that they are with their Father, and don't take your faith for granted. Don't take God for granted. Learn as much as you can from Him, remember that once you're His, you're His forever!

"Who shall separate us from the love of Christ? Shall trouble or hardship or persecution or famine or nakedness or danger or sword? As it is written:“For your sake we face death all day long; we are considered as sheep to be slaughtered.” No, in all these things we are more than conquerors through Him who loved us. For I am convinced that neither death nor life, neither angels nor demons, neither the present nor the future, nor any powers, neither height nor depth, nor anything else in all creation, will be able to separate us from the love of God that is in Christ Jesus our Lord."-Romans 8:35-39


But it is no shame to suffer for being a Christian. Praise God for the privilege of being called by his name!- 1Peter 4:16 


I hope this puts somethings in perspective for you, remember and rejoice and march ahead.
CHECK OUT "CASSIE" BY FLYLEAF

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

I'm not proverbs thirty one

Have you ever read Proverbs 31? 

It describes a woman who is intimidating to me, yet I aspire to be. If you ever have time, read the chapter, if not, I'll break it down for you. In this chapter King Lemuel meaning "devoted to God" wrote a passage that was almost a perfect description of his mother, some say he was inspired by her wisdom. His mother, Bathsheba made her wisdom very evident when she was basically telling her son "not to fall into the trap of immorality, chasing after women will sap a king's strength. (Proverbs 31:3) I can only draw my own assumptions that Lemuel was inspired by that saying and wrote up a whole chapter based on what a woman of virtue should look like. I won't quote the chapter in this blog, although I must have read it three or four times tonight, and had it basically memorized at some point in high school, however I'll attempt to simplify with my such minuscule concoction of words.  

So, what is a Proverbs 31 woman? 
She is tr…

and the dust on my feet

From LAX to Dubai to Entebbe- here walking around in my beloved red dirt Uganda. Nothing seemed real until that plane brought me to this country. The plane wheels hit the ground and the tears started to roll down my cheeks. 

For so long, I have been so angry at God for giving this love for the nations, and then not opening any doors. Only to realize, that I needed growth, I needed to turn to Him fully, only to understand that He needed me somewhere else at the time. As I looked out the window through my teary eyes, I heard Him say "See, I got you back here." I felt a sense of relief, I felt as if this was what I needed from Him, to finally feel Him. 

Stepping out of the plane, the instant smell of Uganda hit my senses and my heart began to race. Feeling all sorts of emotions, I took my first step onto Uganda. My heart was full with joy. 

Getting all thirty of our checked in bags was already a challenge, patience was much needed. Sweat dripping down my neck, hunger in my tummy, …

shattered pieces of my heart

"break my heart for what breaks yours.." 

A song we sing at church. Are we crazy to sing a song that literally asks God to break our hearts for what breaks His? 

I've been on a lot of trips before, visiting the poverty, seeing the starving eyes, and holding the sickest of babies. Each trip opens my eyes more and more, and breaks my heart even on a greater scale. 

Today was a hard day for me. So many times during the day I wanted to burst into tears, I felt helpless, I felt and overwhelming wave of so much heartbreak, I think I actually heard my heart shatter to pieces. 

During worship, having a baby tied to my back the Ugandan style, I stood in front of the crowd and watched these kids barefoot, dirty clothes, teared t-shirts jump up and down praising God. In my mind I think "what do you have to praise them for?" Then Janet's words resonated "If you're alive, that is a reason in itself to be praising God." I had tears rolling down my face as I clo…