Skip to main content

Everything you've got

Big brown eyes, little hands, dirty with the Ugandan red dirt, holes in his shirt and pants, barefoot-walks through the doors of the church we do VBS at, as we mark the kids to keep track of them he opens the palm of his hand and I see 250 shillings. (worth 10 cents maybe) Probably thinking he had to pay to get in so he brought what he could. Nicole and I knelt down so he can see our eyes, closed the his hands, gave him a kiss and welcomed him into VBS.

This image is forever engraved in my heart...offering everything you've got just to hear the word of God. He couldn't have been any older than 4. I was tearing up as we let each child walk in, hugging them and loving on them. I couldn't do anything else but praise God for allowing me to take part in all of this.

Debira was her name...
After Jodi and Nicole taught at the Women's conference, teaching about forgiveness. Debira was the quiet one in our group. The leader asked her "is there anyone in your life that you need to forgive" she quietly said "I'm working on it." Through out the discussion time her and I kept making eye contact...I felt the need to encourage her. I told her I will be praying for her, she had a huge smile on her face. After we were dismissed she made her way over to me, asked for my name, and we talked. A beginning of a beautiful friendship. I told her that whatever it was she was going through, I will pray and that I hope one of these days she will share. I told her I would check on her tomorrow and after tomorrow and on and on. She hugged me so tight and said "May God bless you."

Lilian-ran to me with tears, clung to me with her arms around my neck so tight. As she was sobbing in my arms I just prayed. She doesn't speak English and I don't speak Lugandan, so I have no idea what she was crying about, but she ran to me...what a privilege it is to love on a child when they are hurt. Lilian is the one who says "my name is Natalia." She learned how to say "see you tomorrow" and now says it to me all the time. She is about 4 years old. Sassy little girl, but I love her tender moments.

Finally we visited an orphanage filled with older boys and girls, and when we walked in they said "welcome to our family." Touched my heart. As some of them shared their testimony, I was just in awe. Oh the faith they have, so amazing. Such strong young adults, striving to be people of God, the same God we serve. Hospitality to the max, I felt like a queen, felt so welcomed and loved right off the bat.

After today, watching the kids play, talking with the women in at the conference, interacting with Ugandan young adults...I'm bursting with joy.

God is showing me over and over what touches my heart the most, He is training me, He is teaching me, He is reminding me that it is ALL about Him. My life belongs to Him completely. we sang a song and the only words I could understand was "only you Jesus" yes ONLY YOU.

Blessed and filled with joy tonight.

Give everything you've got. Give every ounce of yourself to God and His people.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

I'm not proverbs thirty one

Have you ever read Proverbs 31? 

It describes a woman who is intimidating to me, yet I aspire to be. If you ever have time, read the chapter, if not, I'll break it down for you. In this chapter King Lemuel meaning "devoted to God" wrote a passage that was almost a perfect description of his mother, some say he was inspired by her wisdom. His mother, Bathsheba made her wisdom very evident when she was basically telling her son "not to fall into the trap of immorality, chasing after women will sap a king's strength. (Proverbs 31:3) I can only draw my own assumptions that Lemuel was inspired by that saying and wrote up a whole chapter based on what a woman of virtue should look like. I won't quote the chapter in this blog, although I must have read it three or four times tonight, and had it basically memorized at some point in high school, however I'll attempt to simplify with my such minuscule concoction of words.  

So, what is a Proverbs 31 woman? 
She is tr…

It's real

Depression- the word is either used too much or not enough. 

Upon hearing that someone may be depressed, some just look the other way as if it's not real, as if it's a trend or not as bad as the guy next door. Some may treat it with medication, therapy, and may even suggest medidation. 

I heard a statistic from 2013, that 437 children die from cancer, that is one too many, and 4,600 individuals ages 10-24 will take their own lives. I am one hundred percent positive the numbers have increased since, sadly. So. Are we judging too quickly when some one may be depressed? Are we shrugging it off as if it's not a thing. Let me tell you something...

Unless you have mentally experienced the battles a depressed person fights- you have no say. Unless you have felt your own heart beat fasten it's pace because your lungs are trying to grasp for air due to heavy tear flow that became silent- you can not point fingers. Unless you felt the utter darkness that surrounds the mind and the …

what is seen is temporary

the phrase I have tattooed on my forearm states "this too shall pass..." 

lately I'm realizing that the phrase holds multiple meanings. this. what is "this" is it eluding to? here's my faulty conclusion...

this. any state of emotion, life situations, adversities, joys, sadness, pains, tragedies...this will pass. so that leads to this- whatever joys we experience, they will soon pass, what ever pains we experience, they will also pass, the most painful "this too shall pass" includes the connections we make, the relationships we spend our time building, the people...they pass. They pass right out of our lives. You can look at someone and physically see them, all the while realizing the person they were before has "passed", the essence of their being was taken along with their "passing." 

"this too shall pass." 


As contradicting as it is, the permanent tattoo on my forearm indicates how temporary things are in this life. 

Upo…