Skip to main content

Half of of my heart

"Half of my heart's got a grip on the situation, half of my heart takes time..."-John Mayer

Today I woke up with a terrible ache in my heart. I tired turning it into a prayerful heart, but it is so difficult. When everything in you longs to be somewhere else, it is a painful process.

My dear friend has returned to Haiti today, she was an intern this summer. After she came back she was determined to get back, and by God's grace she did. As I lift up my prayers for her, I can't help but imagine her beaming face when she steps off that plane. I can't help but imagine the smells, the heat, the noise of Haiti. I can't help but imagine the attacks of hugs and kisses at the feeding program today. I can't help but imagine seeing my friends who love Jesus so much....oh how I long to be there.

I keep hearing the words "Be happy where God has you..." (I think I wrote about this in my last blog) so yes, I believe that we are still supposed to bless His name wherever we are. Like the famous song "Blessed be Your name when I'm found in the desert place. Though I walk through the wilderness blessed be Your name..." I will bless His name. However, I will not stop striving toward where I want to be. I think God doesn't want us to just sit and wait until He opens doors, or drops loads of money in your lap, we don't have to wait for some physical sign of either go there or here, we need to be on a search.
On a search for doors to push wide open, for opportunities that will further you along your path.

A few weeks I came home from babysitting where I earned a huge chunk of money, something in me said "SAVE." I found a glass jar in my room and now I am almost able to pay for my airfare if I were to go to Haiti. God speaks. Not necessarily when we're sitting here, living life, but when we search, fight, go after His heart. I know He loves the poor and the needy, I know He longs for people to love on them. His heart is to go and seek the lost and love on them.

So John Mayers song is stuck in my head today. Although not having any relation to this post, but just that simple phrase..."Half of my heart's got a grip on the situation, half of my heart takes time.." yes, I understand all of this. I understand the waiting, the searching, the fighting, the saving...but then it just simply aches. The longing is getting old and almost too painful. I've got faces flashing through my mind, I've got memories playing on repeat in my head, its all just a little crazy...but blessed be His name.

My goal is to just save all my money. My goal is to get back to Haiti. I don't know how, but I know finances is the biggest challenge. I will continue to search and look for opportunities that will further me along.Although finances are important, however I am not a fool and I know I need to use my God given gifts and grow, draw near to our Savior. I know God is calling me to do here what He's calling me to do in Haiti...so for now, I will do just that.


So what are you doing to further yourself along to where you actually want to be? Are you blessing His name in the desert place?

Have a little hope.

Blessings,


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

I'm not proverbs thirty one

Have you ever read Proverbs 31? 

It describes a woman who is intimidating to me, yet I aspire to be. If you ever have time, read the chapter, if not, I'll break it down for you. In this chapter King Lemuel meaning "devoted to God" wrote a passage that was almost a perfect description of his mother, some say he was inspired by her wisdom. His mother, Bathsheba made her wisdom very evident when she was basically telling her son "not to fall into the trap of immorality, chasing after women will sap a king's strength. (Proverbs 31:3) I can only draw my own assumptions that Lemuel was inspired by that saying and wrote up a whole chapter based on what a woman of virtue should look like. I won't quote the chapter in this blog, although I must have read it three or four times tonight, and had it basically memorized at some point in high school, however I'll attempt to simplify with my such minuscule concoction of words.  

So, what is a Proverbs 31 woman? 
She is tr…

and the dust on my feet

From LAX to Dubai to Entebbe- here walking around in my beloved red dirt Uganda. Nothing seemed real until that plane brought me to this country. The plane wheels hit the ground and the tears started to roll down my cheeks. 

For so long, I have been so angry at God for giving this love for the nations, and then not opening any doors. Only to realize, that I needed growth, I needed to turn to Him fully, only to understand that He needed me somewhere else at the time. As I looked out the window through my teary eyes, I heard Him say "See, I got you back here." I felt a sense of relief, I felt as if this was what I needed from Him, to finally feel Him. 

Stepping out of the plane, the instant smell of Uganda hit my senses and my heart began to race. Feeling all sorts of emotions, I took my first step onto Uganda. My heart was full with joy. 

Getting all thirty of our checked in bags was already a challenge, patience was much needed. Sweat dripping down my neck, hunger in my tummy, …

shattered pieces of my heart

"break my heart for what breaks yours.." 

A song we sing at church. Are we crazy to sing a song that literally asks God to break our hearts for what breaks His? 

I've been on a lot of trips before, visiting the poverty, seeing the starving eyes, and holding the sickest of babies. Each trip opens my eyes more and more, and breaks my heart even on a greater scale. 

Today was a hard day for me. So many times during the day I wanted to burst into tears, I felt helpless, I felt and overwhelming wave of so much heartbreak, I think I actually heard my heart shatter to pieces. 

During worship, having a baby tied to my back the Ugandan style, I stood in front of the crowd and watched these kids barefoot, dirty clothes, teared t-shirts jump up and down praising God. In my mind I think "what do you have to praise them for?" Then Janet's words resonated "If you're alive, that is a reason in itself to be praising God." I had tears rolling down my face as I clo…