Skip to main content

Being Jonah

The book of Jonah- wow. Everyone has heard the story. God calls Jonah to Nineveh to share the Word because the city was full of wickedness and God wanted to destroy it, Jonah refused; instead He went to Tarshish to run away from God. Silly Jonah, silly me. Jonahs disobedience causes a huge storm to rage and whoever he was traveling with was distraught and all began to call out to their own gods. What did Jonah do? He went down to the lowest parts of the ship and went to sleep. Really?
So the solution to the raging storm was to throw Jonah overboard, then he ended up in a belly of a fish for three days. If that doesn't cause you to surrender I don't know what will. So Jonah finally surrenders and decides to obey the Lord. He goes to Ninevah and preaches, they turn away from their own ways and turn to God. The process was smooth and Jonah was angry because God decided to have compassion. See, Jonah knew the character of God, He knew God was a merciful and compassionate God- He believed with His whole heart that God was not going to destroy the city.

Jonah was missing the point. All God wanted was to use him as a tool to grow the city of Nineveh, He wanted Jonah to care for it.

Being Jonah this week, I understand the story more deeply. I know the feeling of not wanting to do something, but knowing that it is the will of God. Why do you think Jonah went to take a nap during the storm? Because He knew God, He just didn't want to obey. But as soon as Jonah committed to the Lord and obeyed things changed.

This week an opportunity was presented to me to go back to where I was born for the summer. I battled, I struggled, I was upset. My biological dad asked me to come to be a nanny to my baby sister, he was willing to pay for my trip too. Knowing in my heart that going would be  the right thing to do, everything in my disobedient heart said "NO." I didn't want to face the person who left me, who caused so much pain in my life, who caused a lot of issues in my life with which I will never stop dealing with. I began to worry and question Gods will. I was giving up my babies in Uganda to go to a place I didn't care about anymore.

In the end, just like Jonah-minus being trapped in a fish, I was in my room, couldn't sleep, tossing and turning- i gave up. I gave up all the control, I gave up the worry. I gave up on trying to figure things out, and I gave it all over to God. I prayed specifically for a major sign, for my passport to work out smoothly, if everything was going to go through smoothly, I would submit to His will, trust and obey. The next morning I called, and a door just slammed shut. I couldn't get a Visa and a new passport would take 3 months to get.

Lesson? Obedience. Be willing to be His tool wherever He sends you. Anytime I would go to Haiti or Uganda, the desire was always there, my heart was always in it, I was excited. So I assumed that God doesn't call you to do something you don't want. But I was wrong. He calls you to obey no matter, because in the end there is always a lesson to be learned.

Now, I am not going to Russia, and as far as my Uganda trip- I am praying about it. I don't know if this experience was to close the doors to Uganda as well. I can sit all day and think of the "maybes' of life, and the "whys" or the "what ifs" but I won't. I will just be open to what God calls me to do.

Being Jonah wasn't fun.

Trust and obey guys.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

I'm not proverbs thirty one

Have you ever read Proverbs 31? 

It describes a woman who is intimidating to me, yet I aspire to be. If you ever have time, read the chapter, if not, I'll break it down for you. In this chapter King Lemuel meaning "devoted to God" wrote a passage that was almost a perfect description of his mother, some say he was inspired by her wisdom. His mother, Bathsheba made her wisdom very evident when she was basically telling her son "not to fall into the trap of immorality, chasing after women will sap a king's strength. (Proverbs 31:3) I can only draw my own assumptions that Lemuel was inspired by that saying and wrote up a whole chapter based on what a woman of virtue should look like. I won't quote the chapter in this blog, although I must have read it three or four times tonight, and had it basically memorized at some point in high school, however I'll attempt to simplify with my such minuscule concoction of words.  

So, what is a Proverbs 31 woman? 
She is tr…

It's real

Depression- the word is either used too much or not enough. 

Upon hearing that someone may be depressed, some just look the other way as if it's not real, as if it's a trend or not as bad as the guy next door. Some may treat it with medication, therapy, and may even suggest medidation. 

I heard a statistic from 2013, that 437 children die from cancer, that is one too many, and 4,600 individuals ages 10-24 will take their own lives. I am one hundred percent positive the numbers have increased since, sadly. So. Are we judging too quickly when some one may be depressed? Are we shrugging it off as if it's not a thing. Let me tell you something...

Unless you have mentally experienced the battles a depressed person fights- you have no say. Unless you have felt your own heart beat fasten it's pace because your lungs are trying to grasp for air due to heavy tear flow that became silent- you can not point fingers. Unless you felt the utter darkness that surrounds the mind and the …

what is seen is temporary

the phrase I have tattooed on my forearm states "this too shall pass..." 

lately I'm realizing that the phrase holds multiple meanings. this. what is "this" is it eluding to? here's my faulty conclusion...

this. any state of emotion, life situations, adversities, joys, sadness, pains, tragedies...this will pass. so that leads to this- whatever joys we experience, they will soon pass, what ever pains we experience, they will also pass, the most painful "this too shall pass" includes the connections we make, the relationships we spend our time building, the people...they pass. They pass right out of our lives. You can look at someone and physically see them, all the while realizing the person they were before has "passed", the essence of their being was taken along with their "passing." 

"this too shall pass." 


As contradicting as it is, the permanent tattoo on my forearm indicates how temporary things are in this life. 

Upo…